Song versus song

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: Song versus song

Post by lune ellise »

blueharvest wrote:Dave writes most of the songs in SA but in terms of % of output that I really love, Dan's is much higher.
Same here, but you can't blame Dave because he is just defeated by probability. The fewer the decisions made, the fewer the errors committed (making it more precise); although the accuracy would be suffered (in case of Dave, he has more chances of getting a wide range of audience) - so Dan has a risk, too: either a listener likes all his songs or dislikes them totally.
blueharvest wrote:Best song whose title suggests some form of imprisonment:

Chains
Cradle Chain
Caged Rat
Tied to the Tracks
I would choose Cradle Chain now because the song created a sentiment in me at this point of my college life. Normally I would choose Tied To The Tracks.

Next Question: Best "anatomical" song?

Artificial Heart
Bittersweetheart
Blood Into Wine
Eyes Of A Child
Spacehead
Wandering Eyes
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

philipgar wrote: not really a question, gullible's travel's wins by a miracle mile.

Phil
i can't get enough of gullible's travels so i agree, but i wonder if i'll ever listen to it too much and then start to like miracle mile better. i think that's why i was wondering what others thought (others - meaning fans who didn't take a 12 year break from being a fan like me)

oh and i don't know all the song options so the open question is still Best "anatomical" song for the next person to answer

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

lune ellise wrote:Next Question: Best "anatomical" song?

Artificial Heart
Bittersweetheart
Blood Into Wine
Eyes Of A Child
Spacehead
Wandering Eyes
Blood Into Wine, without a doubt. It's such a great combination of Dan's writing and Dave's vocals. On a related note, I would love to hear more of co-author Elizabeth Herman's work, but I haven't been able to find anything else on her online. Any ideas?

Next question: Which lyrical tale would you most rather be part of? (And which character would you want to be?)

Nice Guys Don't Get Paid
String of Pearls
New World
Faces & Names
New York Blackout
Ode
Without A Trace

I know which one I would choose, but I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it.

(If you feel I've forgotten any, please add in your own.)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

this one's easy in 'new world' - the daughter he wants to take out!

ok hmmm next question:

crawl vs. caged rat

not sure what category that is but i always group those 2 in my mind for some reason (anybody able to explain it for me?)

p.s. jakob please answer your own question - it was a good one!

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

zany wrote:p.s. jakob please answer your own question - it was a good one!
You and I both thought alike here: I'd also choose New World, only difference being that I'd choose to be the narrator. ;)

What really captures me about these lyrics are the lines "And the neighbors will all be there / And no one will know what to wear." He never says it outright but it's clear that he's talking about a marriage, and I think he chose some brilliant words to illustrate it.

Other than that, I'd also love to be an observer to the events of Nice Guys. The situation is so surreal that you can't help but wonder how Dave thought it up, but it's a captivating story nonetheless. (In fact, the oddness of it may be what makes it so.)

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

Homesick wrote: He never says it outright but it's clear that he's talking about a marriage, and I think he chose some brilliant words to illustrate it.
i'm really not getting the marriage thing - any help explaining it?
maybe my problem is my positive perspective on marriage prevents me from connecting all the negative stuff in the song to one?

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

zany wrote:i'm really not getting the marriage thing - any help explaining it?
maybe my problem is my positive perspective on marriage prevents me from connecting all the negative stuff in the song to one?
On the other hand, it may just be that I haven't given enough thought to the rest of the lyrics. You're saying the marriage is actually a sad occasion in this particular song?

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i'm saying 99% of their song lyrics of all songs are a bit on the down-side !

i don't think you're crazy for identifying with the song that way, i like that saying about art that everybody can see it in their own way and that's the point. i just didn't get the part about it being 'clear' or obvious! :)

to me the lyrics remind me of a song by catie curtis (River WInding) see lyrics here if interested: http://www.catiecurtis.com/index.php?pa ... tie_Curtis

p.s. song vs song is still at Crawl vs. Caged Rat

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

zany wrote:Crawl vs. Caged Rat
I've always thought these songs were had some similarities besides me occasionally skipping over both of them. It must be the slow verses and uptempo choruses.

I'm going with Crawl. I don't care for the screaming, repetitive chorus in Caged Rat. Though I do like the sounds of the trumpet and the "computerized-sounding" beginning. In Crawl I like the "Get me outta here", and the way Dave says crawl in the chorus, "craw-ha-all". I think the fact the song isn't as repetitive makes me like like Crawl more than the track that follows it. ;)

Next up, Favorite song that begins with M and ends in E :

Marionette
Masquerade
Miracle Mile
My Saving Grace
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

miracle mile ... by a mile

that song is growing on me lately, gotta work on remembering more than 2% of the words though.

ah now the daunting task of thinking up a question.

favorite song of the 'trilogy':
black gold
lately
let's all kill each other