annoying new girl

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: annoying new girl

Post by lune ellise »

philipgar wrote:for the record, I'm 26 now, not 25
:oops: Sorry for the mistake, Phil...
philipgar wrote:Friends still think I'm a tad obsessed with the band, but they put up with it. The online SA community, and friends I've made there, have really helped with this. It gives me an outlet for it all, so I can be more "normal" in lab and with friends.
Hmmm, this one is very familiar :lol: . Online communities helped me a lot, because I'm having a difficulty socializing just because I do not share the same interests as the majority. Just like you said, they are really great outlets for someone who have a somewhat obscure "obsessions"...
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:just saying, I don't think Nirvana and Soul Asylum are in the least alike in any way except the somewhat in the look of the lead singer, which even that is slight
I agree, and I expressed it quite harshly in another thread. I'm really sorry I was a bit of an ass there, rest assured that it will not happen again. Fans of other bands are welcome in this forum - in fact encouraged, to expand our diversity in music. ;)
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:For the most part I don't like listening to female singers. Their voices really just annoy me.
I am not particularly sensitive to the pop genre (which is dominated by female singers), but I have trouble liking to female rock performers. I am not so much of a fan of Avril Lavigne, Paramore and Flyleaf - I don't know, they really do not suite my taste, and like you, I find female voices in rock music too high-pitched.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

lune ellise wrote:
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:For the most part I don't like listening to female singers. Their voices really just annoy me.
I am not particularly sensitive to the pop genre (which is dominated by female singers), but I have trouble liking to female rock performers. I am not so much of a fan of Avril Lavigne, Paramore and Flyleaf - I don't know, they really do not suite my taste, and like you, I find female voices in rock music too high-pitched.
I actually really used to like Avril Lavigne, until she came out with Girlfriend. It sounded almost like a bad version of Tony Basil's Mickey. I kept listening to her up until I found out who Fastball was. The few female singers I do listen to I only listen to on rare occasions, but the only one that I really like is Fiona Apple. I only know the song Criminal, but based on that her voice is not annoying in the least.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Ever heard of Superjesus? They're an Australian band with a female lead singer who doesn't have a nasal high-pitched voice. I used to have one of their early albums, Sumo. Good stuff. :)
Last edited by sayeeda on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I'm a little late to this thread, and I might have already welcomed you in a different thread. That said, I don't think you're annoying and I welcome you again to the club! :)

The board is great as we are all into music, and as Phil said, sometimes people in our daily lives aren't as into music as we are. I hope you will like it here.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:I'm a little late to this thread, and I might have already welcomed you in a different thread. That said, I don't think you're annoying and I welcome you again to the club! :)

The board is great as we are all into music, and as Phil said, sometimes people in our daily lives aren't as into music as we are. I hope you will like it here.
You actually did already welcome me when I had that lengthy response to the How Did You Get Into Soul Asylum thread. Who really cares if you're late, anyway? It's not like this is a conversation between a select few people or something. I know that I don't care in the least.
As for listening to music that most people in my school have never even heard of, I'm good at persuasion. Usually through the use of threats(not really, but my friends usually comply to my requests for some reason that I have no clue about :D). Who knows, by October you might have an overflow of teenagers from somewhere on the east coast on this site. Wouldn't that be fun?

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:As for listening to music that most people in my school have never even heard of, I'm good at persuasion. Usually through the use of threats(not really, but my friends usually comply to my requests for some reason that I have no clue about :D).
Probably because they like you.

I haven't made any true converts among my non-fan friends yet, but my SA MUSIC obsession is having a spillover effect. I did get my childhood best friend to go to two shows with me and she said she liked the music. Another friend asked if I had anything by Soul Asylum that she could listen to. I had made a mix tape of the "winners" of each favorite song poll on one side and the songs for which I actually voted on the other and filled in the extra time with the Columbia year hits. (This was in preparation for voting for the favorite of the favorites poll.) So I gave her the tape and she liked it enough to look up some videos on her own. She said she could see why I liked them so much, but she did return the tape. Another friend of mine told me about talking to his girlfriend and roommate about my attending the Ribfest show in June. They asked who Soul Asylum was, so he got out his old tape of GDU and played it. Later he told me his roommate mentioned that he had Runaway Train stuck in his head for three days.

But I'm glad this fan site is here. It's a lot more fun to talk about specific music with people who actually listen to it.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:As for listening to music that most people in my school have never even heard of, I'm good at persuasion. Usually through the use of threats(not really, but my friends usually comply to my requests for some reason that I have no clue about :D).
Probably because they like you.

I haven't made any true converts among my non-fan friends yet, but my SA MUSIC obsession is having a spillover effect. I did get my childhood best friend to go to two shows with me and she said she liked the music. Another friend asked if I had anything by Soul Asylum that she could listen to. I had made a mix tape of the "winners" of each favorite song poll on one side and the songs for which I actually voted on the other and filled in the extra time with the Columbia year hits. (This was in preparation for voting for the favorite of the favorites poll.) So I gave her the tape and she liked it enough to look up some videos on her own. She said she could see why I liked them so much, but she did return the tape. Another friend of mine told me about talking to his girlfriend and roommate about my attending the Ribfest show in June. They asked who Soul Asylum was, so he got out his old tape of GDU and played it. Later he told me his roommate mentioned that he had Runaway Train stuck in his head for three days.
None of my friends would ever admit to liking me, and the ones that I have gotten to listen to Soul Asylum like Fastball better. Maybe it's because Fastball is a little bit more recent and they actually remember some of the songs(mostly Sooner or Later and Don't Give Up On Me, not The Way). They had never even heard Runaway Train on the radio that they remember. I know that if I ever get to go to a Soul Asylum show that I will be dragging at least one of my friends with me no matter what, though(one of them actually admitted to being sad for having to miss Fastball live when they were actually within driving distance, which I still don't understand).

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Hey Nicole! I love your screename.
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:I'm a bit obsessive, which explains the whole making bracelets with bands names' on them and having pictures of them on my phone
Oh, I do that too! Seriously, the background on my phone is a picture of Dave and Dan (didn't take it, I downloaded it) and right now I'm wearing an SA bracelet I made. I also made a keychain that has 6 strands of beads on it that say, "Soul Asylum", Dave, Dan and Karl's names, "Minneapolis MN", and "Where will you be in 1993".

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

AlyssaJones wrote:
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:I'm a bit obsessive, which explains the whole making bracelets with bands names' on them and having pictures of them on my phone
Oh, I do that too! Seriously, the background on my phone is a picture of Dave and Dan (didn't take it, I downloaded it) and right now I'm wearing an SA bracelet I made. I also made a keychain that has 6 strands of beads on it that say, "Soul Asylum", Dave, Dan and Karl's names, "Minneapolis MN", and "Where will you be in 1993".
Wow, I only have two. One that says Soul Asylum and one that says Fashion Victim. I also have some for Nirvana, Fastball, and one that says Groove is in the Heart which I made for a friend. I made a key chain that says Hanson, too because my sister made me. Apparently a social studies teacher at my high school has a poster up in his room of Hanson.
The background on my phone is only Dave singing with a banner that says Soul Asylum. Before that it was Tony Scalzo and it said Fastball, and before that it was a picture of my eye with a banner that said Telephone Calls(from Make Your Mama Proud by Fastball).

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Once I was in graduate school and living on campus with an ethernet connection, I often looked for and downloaded SA pictures (and other pictures of bands or tv shows I liked). That's always fun.