annoying new girl

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: annoying new girl

Post by sheryl »

wow.

i'm on evacucation in nowheresville alabama, and desperate for distraction. i just read this whole thread.

thank god for your essays, nicole!!!! keep 'em coming.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

sheryl wrote:wow.

i'm on evacucation in nowheresville alabama, and desperate for distraction. i just read this whole thread.

Good to see that you made it out okay...Hope everyone did...
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

sheryl wrote:wow.

Yay!! Finally my love of writing essays has pleased someone besides a teacher, unless of course you are a teacher. My friends think I'm weird because I tend to write several copies of essays with slight variations. The first few times I don't try, then I just add them all together and I get an A, even though this year I had an evil ELA teacher(that's English Language Arts where I am) that did not like handing out one-hundreds, but luckily the lowest grade she gave me was a ninety-five. My sister had her and so did the art teacher that I look like, along with a few other teachers. She also wasn't too bright. She had us take a quiz and she said the answer to "What did workers find in Cardiff, New York?" She said that it was a fossilized giant human, when really it was a hoax. I had taken the exact same test in sixth and seventh grade and I had gotten the question correct both times, and I still don't know why anyone hasn't spoken out about her! She did that again by saying that we know that the battle in the story is old because the name of the town is Shiloh. Most people were questioning her sanity at that point because a war could break out in Shiloh right now.
The worst part is she was crazy about manners and she wouldn't let us even sharpen our pencils without saying may I, please, and thank you. I'm glad I never have to see her again.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

sayeeda wrote:Ever heard of Superjesus? They're an Australian band with a female lead singer who doesn't have a nasal high-pitched voice. I used to have one of their early albums, Sumo. Good stuff. :)
I looked them up on youtube and they were pretty good. Then, I checked iTunes, and they don't have Sumo. Now my list of cds that I have to buy is getting longer, and I actually do have a list that's about two pages long, so far. It won't take me long to make it much longer, though with the suggestions that I'm getting here. I also have a twenty-five page list of books that I really want to read. I have to remember to add Battle Royale to that list, which my sister recommended. She actually had to ask me if blood in books bothered me. It's like she doesn't know me at all!
Oh, and thanks, by the way, for telling me about Superjesus.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:
sayeeda wrote:Ever heard of Superjesus? They're an Australian band with a female lead singer who doesn't have a nasal high-pitched voice. I used to have one of their early albums, Sumo. Good stuff. :)
I looked them up on youtube and they were pretty good. Then, I checked iTunes, and they don't have Sumo. Now my list of cds that I have to buy is getting longer, and I actually do have a list that's about two pages long, so far. It won't take me long to make it much longer, though with the suggestions that I'm getting here. I also have a twenty-five page list of books that I really want to read. I have to remember to add Battle Royale to that list, which my sister recommended. She actually had to ask me if blood in books bothered me. It's like she doesn't know me at all!
I gave up long ago on keeping a list of CDs I want to buy. There really is no method to the madness of buying more and more albums. I think my collection has reached the 400-500 CD point, and tends to grow only faster. I have a mental note of what bands I like that I still need albums from (I have all of the CDs of most of my favorite bands), and when I'm at the used CD store I just browse. I can easily spend 45 minutes or more walking through the used section of a store looking to see if they have any used albums I need. Some days my collection of certain artists grows rapidly as the store may have 2 or 3 used CDs that I don't have by them. Often they're artists I wouldn't have put above others, but they happened to be available. Price plays a key factor in the decisions (I'm a grad student, so much of my excess spending money is from working on an internship a year ago), often limiting how many albums I pick up (I try to avoid spending more than $50-$60 per visit to the store).

I will say that having a good CD store close buy is important to me. I'll buy music online sometimes from bands I really like occasionally, but often I'll spend an extra buck or two to get it at the local store. I really am attached to that place, all the workers are extremely knswledgable about all kinds of music, and many know me by name now. Nothing beats going in and discussing some of your favorite bands, and what they've been up to, or what upcoming CDs are coming out (right now I'm waiting for the Replacements reissues). It also helps that occasionally they'll have live bands playing in the store, and even have "parties" (like for record store appreciation day) where the store has food, wine and kegs of beer for a few hours, so you can go in (it's always packed on those days), have a beer and browse the music, and talk to countless other fans. It really makes for a good time.

I think I need to stop rambling now.

Phil

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

philipgar wrote:
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:
I gave up long ago on keeping a list of CDs I want to buy. There really is no method to the madness of buying more and more albums. I think my collection has reached the 400-500 CD point, and tends to grow only faster. I have a mental note of what bands I like that I still need albums from (I have all of the CDs of most of my favorite bands), and when I'm at the used CD store I just browse. I can easily spend 45 minutes or more walking through the used section of a store looking to see if they have any used albums I need. Some days my collection of certain artists grows rapidly as the store may have 2 or 3 used CDs that I don't have by them. Often they're artists I wouldn't have put above others, but they happened to be available. Price plays a key factor in the decisions (I'm a grad student, so much of my excess spending money is from working on an internship a year ago), often limiting how many albums I pick up (I try to avoid spending more than $50-$60 per visit to the store).

I will say that having a good CD store close buy is important to me. I'll buy music online sometimes from bands I really like occasionally, but often I'll spend an extra buck or two to get it at the local store. I really am attached to that place, all the workers are extremely knswledgable about all kinds of music, and many know me by name now. Nothing beats going in and discussing some of your favorite bands, and what they've been up to, or what upcoming CDs are coming out (right now I'm waiting for the Replacements reissues). It also helps that occasionally they'll have live bands playing in the store, and even have "parties" (like for record store appreciation day) where the store has food, wine and kegs of beer for a few hours, so you can go in (it's always packed on those days), have a beer and browse the music, and talk to countless other fans. It really makes for a good time.

I think I need to stop rambling now.

Phil
I don't actually read the list, I just write stuff down and buy what I think of at the time or what they have at the store I'm out. I don't go shopping much, though. Yeah, that's kind of weird for a teenage girl, but I only go to the mall about three times a year, maybe a little more. I don't actually know where there is a used cd store anywhere near I am. I only know of one place that sells cds besides bookstores and that's FYE, which according to my sister is a ripoff. I really should ask my sister where she gets her music from, and I know that it's not iTunes because it doesn't work on her computer and she usually only uses her computer for playing online games and talking to her boyfriend.
Currently, my music collection has about thirty cds, including ones that I no longer listen to.
Rambling is fun, just saying. I can go on for hours about all of the mental illnesses in my family. Like the suicides(a few of those people actually married into the family), the one male that is left of my grandfather's(he killed himself) brothers who is currently taking pills, another one that "accidentally" shot himself in the head while cleaning his gun, and much, much more. I'm ok with talking about that stuff to my friends and some kids I barely know. Who would really want to keep mental illnesses like this inside? One of my friends actually said that I'm either going to become a serial killer or a druggie when I grow up(because of I Get High and Seattle, both by Fastball). Which reminds me, my grandma, who got hit in the head with a hammer, said that we have a murderer in our family, too, but my dad doesn't believe her(she's his mother-in-law, not his mom).

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

that's some deep stuff nicole... but i agree it's probably healthier to keep that stuff in the open instead of building up stuff inside too long...

let's see what else is everybody talking about on here.... oh cd collections. yeah mine's not that big... i can see from here let me estimate... maybe 40 total and most i don't like much anymore and the others i ripped on my computer so i don't use the cd's much anymore. husband has a lot more maybe 100, but it's mostly bands that scream at you and a bunch of nirvana which i occasionally borrow.

i'm glad there's no used cd store near me or i'd have wayyy more cds than i need. i go to one in northhampton (MA) the few times i get up there (lots of good shows up there at the iron horse) and end up getting a few things each time.

-the other nicole

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:that's some deep stuff nicole... but i agree it's probably healthier to keep that stuff in the open instead of building up stuff inside too long...
That's exactly what another friend of mine said, without the deep stuff part. I wish I had a used cd store near me. I don't have much money because, well I'm a teenager without a job and the youngest, so my brother and sister were the ones outside shoveling snow while I was inside watching tv. That's the problem with being youngest, in my opinion, especially when they threaten to beat you up if you play their video games and are now afraid to play them(more to die in them then a fear of playing them, but still a bit unreasonable) or when you walk in on them fighting and you end up with a bloody nose, so you get babied by the parents. Luckily for me though, I am so much younger that it's like I'm an only child, but my sister still lives at home because she goes to community college and how did I get from talking about cds to talking about my family?? Anyway, I'd love to get some more cds by Soul Asylum, but that's not going to be happening soon. I checked at Borders(not the best place to look) for music and they didn't have any Soul Asylum at all. Oh, well. I get 100 dollars for each semester in my savings account and I'll probably be able to use some of it for music. Not all of it, obviously, but some.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:
zany wrote:that's some deep stuff nicole... but i agree it's probably healthier to keep that stuff in the open instead of building up stuff inside too long...
That's exactly what another friend of mine said, without the deep stuff part. I wish I had a used cd store near me. I don't have much money because, well I'm a teenager without a job and the youngest, so my brother and sister were the ones outside shoveling snow while I was inside watching tv. That's the problem with being youngest, in my opinion, especially when they threaten to beat you up if you play their video games and are now afraid to play them(more to die in them then a fear of playing them, but still a bit unreasonable) or when you walk in on them fighting and you end up with a bloody nose, so you get babied by the parents. Luckily for me though, I am so much younger that it's like I'm an only child, but my sister still lives at home because she goes to community college and how did I get from talking about cds to talking about my family?? Anyway, I'd love to get some more cds by Soul Asylum, but that's not going to be happening soon. I checked at Borders(not the best place to look) for music and they didn't have any Soul Asylum at all. Oh, well. I get 100 dollars for each semester in my savings account and I'll probably be able to use some of it for music. Not all of it, obviously, but some.
Hey Nicole you know the best place to look for music and get the most for you money is ebay! And alot of the time its new. Just a thought ...me and my husband have bought quite a bit off ebay and never have had a problem.

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Twiddly Dee wrote:Hey Nicole you know the best place to look for music and get the most for you money is ebay! And alot of the time its new. Just a thought ...me and my husband have bought quite a bit off ebay and never have had a problem.

Rusty
I've actually thought about that and I know that my parents have bought things for my sister on ebay(Earthbound and other video games). Either that or I could try Amazon, which my brother loves to use. Those are the only two places that I've seen Normal by Big Car, which is the group the guitar player(Miles Zuniga) and drummer(Joey Shuffield) of Fastball were in before they met Tony Scalzo. I've really got to learn to stop talking about other bands here.