annoying new girl

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

annoying new girl

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

I haven't actually formally introduced myself, so for those of you who don't already know this, I'm Nicole. I'm guessing, that because of my young age, you guys will find me a bit annoying. It's only natural, especially for me, seeing as I'm the youngest of three(my sister is twenty-one and my brother is twenty-four). I'm also a bit odd, such as the fact that I believe that the card game solitaire is racist/sexist. It's weird, I know, but it's me. This post itself is annoying, too, but it is my nature! Just to add this in, I'm really paranoid, so this is one of the many times I've actually written this down, plus I'm younger than all of you guys, so just humor me! Oh yeah, I probably should say HI!!! to everyone, so HI!!!

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: annoying new girl

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Welcome, Nicole!

Don't fret about either your age or about being annoying or weird. You are in good company here. ;)

To see what I mean, read the discussion thread entitled "What is Your Favorite Soul Asylum Music Video?" in the General Discussion section. On pages 2-5 (with a few digressions), mystic spiral, no1rockfan, sheryl and I jump off from discussing the Just Like Anyone video into a discussion of being weird, awkward, overly enthusiatic, intense, sometimes annoying women. You aren't alone here.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:To see what I mean, read the discussion thread entitled "What is Your Favorite Soul Asylum Music Video?" in the General Discussion section. On pages 2-5 (with a few digressions), mystic spiral, no1rockfan, sheryl and I jump off from discussing the Just Like Anyone video into a discussion of being weird, awkward, overly enthusiatic, intense, sometimes annoying women. You aren't alone here.
Thanks for telling me that, I wasn't actually going to read that until I've actually seen all the music videos, but I did find it weird that a few of the people here think Dave is both scary/creepy looking and that he looks like Sara Gilbert(and I do know who that is, I was just watching Roseanne this morning!). Dave is one of the few male singers that doesn't scare me. Him and Kurt Cobain(Tony Scalzo now scares me a lot((he's from Fastball))). The Sara Gilbert thing freaks me out though, for good reason, too. I have been told that I look like Sara, but with straighter, darker hair(like in the first season of Roseanne), plus I have the personality(only much quieter, and not into sports. I got to play piano as a four year old instead of doing the whole sport thing, so I don't actually know how to swim). I'm only loud when I'm with my friends, and if I do talk to someone else, I tend to go on and on about myself(like right now) and about the mental illnesses that run in my family. I'm not the best conversationalist in the world as you can see, very one-sided.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

welcome to the board. At least you spell words correctly, and don't use that text speech stuff. I could care less how old people are on here (I still feel like the young one amongst SA fans, but that's starting to change, and people at shows forget that I'm only in my 20s and never saw the replacements in concert), as long as they're respectful f others, and can type reasonably coherent sentences. This board tends to do a decent job of that all around, although some people tend to be a little obsessed with dave's jeans (or lack of them).

Phil

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

What do you mean by "text speech stuff?" I really have no idea if you mean my quoting CrazyLittleWoman or just that I think people will think that I'm annoying because of my age.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Hi Nicole,

Doesn't really matter how awkward or annoying you may think you are, I am sure we all are in our own way. The main thing is on here we all have one common interest..Soul Asylum, and even if you may be some what of a newbie to them, we are happy to have you! Oh and I am pretty sure what Phil meant when he said "text speech stuff" is the lingo some people use when texting each other on their cell phones. And yes some of us our obsessed with Dave's holey jeans ( sorry Phil ) and we are trying to keep this contained in one thread. :oops:
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Twiddly Dee wrote:Hi Nicole,

Doesn't really matter how awkward or annoying you may think you are, I am sure we all are in our own way. The main thing is on here we all have one common interest..Soul Asylum, and even if you may be some what of a newbie to them, we are happy to have you! Oh and I am pretty sure what Phil meant when he said "text speech stuff" is the lingo some people use when texting each other on their cell phones.
Agreed: the important things is that we all love Soul Asylum's music.
Tweedly Dee wrote:And yes some of us our obsessed with Dave's holey jeans ( sorry Phil ) and we are trying to keep this contained in one thread. :oops:
The thread is entitled "His Holeyness" just in case you're interested. There are some good pictures and links to video and a great interview.

And, yes, Phil's talking about me, too. :oops:

Sorry, Phil. At least I can type reasonably coherent sentences -- and really long paragraphs,too -- and not just about Dave's holey jeans.;)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

I find it a bit weird to be obsessed over jeans, but I love looking at musicians hair. That's part of the reason why I watched Runaway Train and why I bothered to learn all of the lyrics to Nirvana's songs. I'm a bit obsessive, which explains the whole making bracelets with bands names' on them and having pictures of them on my phone(I took pictures of my computer screen). Oh, and the reason I don't use that text speak stuff is because I don't understand half of it. I had to look up ROTFL because I had no idea what it meant. Plus, my dad canceled texting on my phone because my sister went over on her phone(please explain to me how that's fair! I barely ever even turn on my phone and my friends still text me and waste their parents money by doing so).

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:I find it a bit weird to be obsessed over jeans, but I love looking at musicians hair. That's part of the reason why I watched Runaway Train and why I bothered to learn all of the lyrics to Nirvana's songs. I'm a bit obsessive, which explains the whole making bracelets with bands names' on them and having pictures of them on my phone(I took pictures of my computer screen). Oh, and the reason I don't use that text speak stuff is because I don't understand half of it. I had to look up ROTFL because I had no idea what it meant. Plus, my dad canceled texting on my phone because my sister went over on her phone(please explain to me how that's fair! I barely ever even turn on my phone and my friends still text me and waste their parents money by doing so).
I can't stand text messaging. It's a thing that just starts annoying me to no end. And this is from someone who grew up using aim. I know the older and basic acronyms that originated from instant messaging, and irc, but texting has taken it too far. I especially hate reading anything with the "words" r, 4, 2, u, etc in them. It just makes me think... are you really that stupid? Of course, the idea of trying to type on a device using my thumbs seems like pure torture as well. I always spend a few minutes just trying to enter a new name on my phone... half the time I misspell the names anyhow, and I'm way too lazy to try and put their last name on there... Can cause confusion when you know lots of people with the same name (I know 3 Matt K's).

As far as not having texting... I'm half tempted to disable it on my phone, but on rare occasions it's useful for locating people in loud/busy places. Just feel glad you're not tied to your cell phone... I managed to not have one until 4 and a half years ago, but after an incident with my car, I decided it was time to start throwing away $40+ a month on one.

Phil

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

philipgar wrote:I can't stand text messaging.
ME TOO! And this is saying something, as Philippines is known to be as "the text capital of the world". I really cannot comprehend the sense of using text spelling (or whatever the term is) when you are sending just a sentence with a phone (it's just a couple of presses, guys, unless you are too lazy to push the buttons). More so with people who are using this hybrid spelling but are using the computer (with a QWERTY keyboard)! About 90% of these messages I have not bothered to read simply because I cannot understand any word of it.

-Anyway I am digressing-

I think I expressed my welcome to you, Nicole - so let me say it again, Welcome fellow Soul Asylum fan! I admit that I'm jealous, though, because my record is beaten as one of the youngest active participants in this forum (Jakob aka Homesick, is still 21; both Jim aka Monolithic Maniac and Phil are 25 - please correct me if I'm wrong... Me - I'm still... well, young). It's nice to here that the new generation still loves some old school music. :D
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum