annoying new girl

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Re: annoying new girl

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

lune ellise wrote:I think I expressed my welcome to you, Nicole - so let me say it again, Welcome fellow Soul Asylum fan! I admit that I'm jealous, though, because my record is beaten as one of the youngest active participants in this forum (Jakob aka Homesick, is still 21; both Jim aka Monolithic Maniac and Phil are 25 - please correct me if I'm wrong... Me - I'm still... well, young). It's nice to here that the new generation still loves some old school music. :D
Yeah, you did welcome me already, when I was talking about Fastball. I always have to stay on topic at school, so that's really why I keep talking in the off topic forum. As for being an active young member, that's because I have absolutely no life. I've gone to but one movie this summer(the first movie I have seen in a year because my sister made me come) and I have only been over one person's house. I'm really not that social, but I have a lot of friends at school. I just don't see them on the outside world.
Lune Ellise, are you nineteen? I think I saw that you said you were somewhere, which would make you closer in age to anyone in my immediate family, plus most of my cousins. Only six of them are anywhere near my age.
Oh, and another reason I don't use that texting speech(not even on aim, but one of my friends and I like to make up new, impossibly long acronyms) because I'm afraid that I'll forget how to spell, and in some places those annoying acronyms are showing up in essays! I doubt that any teacher would want that to happen, and I think that I would get points taken off, which I really don't want!

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Just to add this in, Lune Ellise, you said that I reminded you of you when you were in high school when I wrote that stuff about Fastball. I am still wondering, how? Sorry to add that in, but you never posted anything more and I'm kind of curious.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:Lune Ellise, are you nineteen? I think I saw that you said you were somewhere, which would make you closer in age to anyone in my immediate family, plus most of my cousins. Only six of them are anywhere near my age.
Yes, I just turned 19 this August. Did I really reveal my age in a forum - :o I really need to check my memory, as I seem to be losing it already :lol:
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:Oh, and another reason I don't use that texting speech(not even on aim, but one of my friends and I like to make up new, impossibly long acronyms) because I'm afraid that I'll forget how to spell, and in some places those annoying acronyms are showing up in essays! I doubt that any teacher would want that to happen, and I think that I would get points taken off, which I really don't want!
This is curious, but a colleague of mine did a research about the impact of texting in spelling and grammar composition. What she found out was that people who are currently studying has the least probability of committing spelling and grammar mistakes due to texting (less than 10%), because these people can easily detach themselves from informal conversations to a formal one, which means that the myth of forgetting proper spelling because of texting is false. She later proved that the erroneous spellings influenced by texting can happen if the subject has no prior knowledge of proper spelling and grammar. With that, I guess you are quite safe from the dangerous influence of texting...

However, I still prefer for anyone not to use texting at all - I bet Phil agrees on this one 8-)
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:you said that I reminded you of you when you were in high school when I wrote that stuff about Fastball. I am still wondering, how?
I am quite alienated from my High School classmates with regards to music. You stated in the Fastball forum that you rarely have friends who enjoy your kind of songs. I was like that, too - and I often found myself clueless to what my friends are discussing about as I stuck myself with my own choice of music. It was kind of frustrating - but that was in High School, which was also the time when I'm still angst-ridden and being an impossible rebel. Minus the negative attitude, was my experience similar to what you are dealing with now? Now I'm the one who is curious...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

lune ellise wrote:
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:you said that I reminded you of you when you were in high school when I wrote that stuff about Fastball. I am still wondering, how?
I am quite alienated from my High School classmates with regards to music. You stated in the Fastball forum that you rarely have friends who enjoy your kind of songs. I was like that, too - and I often found myself clueless to what my friends are discussing about as I stuck myself with my own choice of music. It was kind of frustrating - but that was in High School, which was also the time when I'm still angst-ridden and being an impossible rebel. Minus the negative attitude, was my experience similar to what you are dealing with now? Now I'm the one who is curious...
I am in no way a rebel and I do have somewhat of a negative attitude, mostly in gym, but give me a break, my gym teacher was sexist. He was a horrible person, and also I am terribly uncoordinated. I do tend to go off on my own music-wise, and I know a lot of random facts about the bands I listen to just to annoy my friends. I have gotten two friends to listen to Soul Asylum and Fastball. One listens to Soul Asylum because the Runaway Train video was so sad and listens to Fastball a little bit because I kept playing The Way on field trips. She knows all of the lyrics, but she mostly listens to country. The other listens to all of Fastball, but doesn't like Soul Asylum as much, which I found weird. She was just surprised that I don't listen to Fastball everyday anymore(they were like a really strong drug that I was hooked on for awhile and it took me a long time to remember that there was other music on my iPod. Soul Asylum is a much stronger drug though.). Another of my friends thinks that I listen to heavy metal or scream bands and she claims to have heard The Way which is absolutely ridiculous, and the worst part is, she listens to those disgusting Jonas Brothers. She keeps telling me to listen to "good music" but I think she needs the one who needs to listen to good music. I guess that I'm kind of like you in music. Music takes up most of my life, though because of the whole playing piano at four and playing two other instruments(I quit both piano and flute because they are absolutely dreadful, but the violin is fun! I'm a string instrument person.). My friends always find that I'm weird, though.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I know a number of people from here can relate to spending high school as non-social, awkward years. I know I did. I think I started posting on the old AOL Soul Asylum forum when I was 15 or so (for the record, I'm 26 now, not 25). I think it was a year or two later when I helped create the O'jeezitssoulasylum forum over on yahoo, and people definitely thought of me as strange and obsessed. I was in high school, and essentially running the band's fan club, and listening to their music all the time (I actually listen to soul asylum less now than i used to). I don't think it helped when in 11th grade I skipped a day or two of school to go to a pair of soul asylum shows (my parents were remarkably understanding about such things)... "Friends" didn't know what to do with me, or what I really was, so I went off and did my own thing. I listened to lots of music, and life moved on.

Things really changed for me in college, as I found people I could better relate to (not through music though). My music tastes had expanded significantly, and my mind wasn't so one track. Of course, then, and to this day most of the music I listen to is only one or two degrees of separation from Soul Asylum (the 'mats, paul, the jayhawks, trip shakespeare, the smog, wilco, alex chilton, big star, slobberbone, the drams, grand champeen, geraldine fibbers, jessy greene, michal, the hang ups, the honeydogs, husker du, bob mould, joe henry, martin zellar, the gear daddies, run westy run, vic chesnutt, etc). There are other bands too (non-SA related), but I can generally thank other SA fans for telling me about them. Friends still think I'm a tad obsessed with the band, but they put up with it. The online SA community, and friends I've made there, have really helped with this. It gives me an outlet for it all, so I can be more "normal" in lab and with friends.

Phil

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

philipgar wrote: I don't think it helped when in 11th grade I skipped a day or two of school to go to a pair of soul asylum shows (my parents were remarkably understanding about such things)... "Friends" didn't know what to do with me, or what I really was, so I went off and did my own thing. I listened to lots of music, and life moved on.

Things really changed for me in college, as I found people I could better relate to (not through music though). My music tastes had expanded significantly, and my mind wasn't so one track. Of course, then, and to this day most of the music I listen to is only one or two degrees of separation from Soul Asylum (the 'mats, paul, the jayhawks, trip shakespeare, the smog, wilco, alex chilton, big star, slobberbone, the drams, grand champeen, geraldine fibbers, jessy greene, michal, the hang ups, the honeydogs, husker du, bob mould, joe henry, martin zellar, the gear daddies, run westy run, vic chesnutt, etc). There are other bands too (non-SA related), but I can generally thank other SA fans for telling me about them. Friends still think I'm a tad obsessed with the band, but they put up with it. The online SA community, and friends I've made there, have really helped with this. It gives me an outlet for it all, so I can be more "normal" in lab and with friends.

Phil
I could never skip school to see a concert. Not that my parents wouldn't let me, which they probably would, but I am completely and totally obsessed with getting perfect attendance for the next four years(at my school they pay kids off by doing this, $500 or something, which is always good for putting in a savings account, or blowing on music). Plus, I doubt that Soul Asylum would come anywhere close enough to where I live to actually go to a show, though I have been to NYC a few times on school trips, but it takes a few hours to get there.
And might I add, wow, I haven't heard of most of those groups you listen to. I only own a few full cds, mostly from when I was five and I was into Madonna, Michelle Branch, *NSYNC, and Aaron Carter(I don't have any idea why I liked the last two, except that my sister liked *NSYNC.) I do own three Soul Asylum cds, five from Fastball, and one of Nirvana(just saying, I don't think Nirvana and Soul Asylum are in the least alike in any way except somewhat in the look of the lead singer, which even that is slight). Besides that I listen to a lot of 90s music, which made some of my friends say that I am stuck in the 90s, which explains the name I chose. I listen to about one song by everyone else on my iPod, which consists of Fiona Apple, Collective Soul, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Smash Mouth, Deee-Lite, Foo-Fighters, BNL, Billy Idol, Evanescence, Green Day, Jamiroquai, Jane's Addiction, Jane's Addiction, Marcy Playground, New Radicals, No Doubt, P!nk, Spin Doctors, The Verve, Sugar Ray, Tonic, and 4 Non Blondes. I bought almost all of those off of iTunes(with the exceptions being Nirvana. No Doubt, P!nk and Smash Mouth). I don't really tend to listen to those songs though, unless I use the shuffle setting and I usually skip most of the songs anyway. For the most part I don't like listening to female singers. Their voices really just annoy me.
Last edited by stuck_in_the_90s on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:I find it a bit weird to be obsessed over jeans, but I love looking at musicians hair.
To break the rules momentarily (sorry, Phil), it's not so much the jeans as it is where the holes in the jeans are located. Let's put it this way: if you're down front during a live show, you will get an eyeful of Dave's underwear at least once during the performance. It reduces some of us to giggly, gushy girlies. Yes, it's really immature, but it's fun. Since I'm the same age as Dave and Dan, I sometimes enjoy reverting to a much younger version of myself.
philipgar wrote:I can't stand text messaging. I especially hate reading anything with the "words" r, 4, 2, u, etc in them. It just makes me think... are you really that stupid? Of course, the idea of trying to type on a device using my thumbs seems like pure torture as well.

Phil
Agreed. I hate it when people can't just spell out short words. It's idiotic.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:
stuck_in_the_90s wrote:I find it a bit weird to be obsessed over jeans, but I love looking at musicians hair.
To break the rules momentarily (sorry, Phil), it's not so much the jeans as it is where the holes in the jeans are located. Let's put it this way: if you're down front during a live show, you will get an eyeful of Dave's underwear at least once during the performance. It reduces some of us to giggly, gushy girlies. Yes, it's really immature, but it's fun. Since I'm the same age as Dave and Dan, I sometimes enjoy reverting to a much younger version of myself.
Yeah, I noticed that. I saw the His Holeyness thread and now I am forever scarred from that picture. I don't want to look at a hole in a man's jeans that is thirty years older than me! Although, I did have a little fun sending that thread to one of my friends.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:Yeah, I noticed that. I saw the His Holeyness thread and now I am forever scarred from that picture. I don't want to look at a hole in a man's jeans that is thirty years older than me! Although, I did have a little fun sending that thread to one of my friends.
Out of respect for Phil, I'm going to post my reply to this over in the "His Holeyness" thread.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:Out of respect for Phil, I'm going to post my reply to this over in the "His Holeyness" thread.
You had good reason to, too. I had no idea until I found this website that anyone could hold an entire conversation about jeans. I had no idea anyone even wanted to do that either. I guess that you find out something new everyday, whether you want to or not.