YouTube Cracking Down on Posted Videos

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

YouTube Cracking Down on Posted Videos

Post by Monolith Maniac »

A couple weeks ago I read on a news site that YouTube is really gonna start cracking down on content that is posted, especially those that contain copyrighted material. In the article they stated that the videos would still be available to view but that they would mute audio (which I thought was a little strange to begin with); now that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Last week I had my Runaway Train music video that I made in high school removed (not deleted) because it contained the song, everything else was created and edited by me. I wasn't even given a notice that it was a possible candidate for removal. In my email I received that it had been removed stated that all videos can be eligible for removal whether they contain the whole song or just a small clip of it.

Since it seems you don't get any prior notice that it would be removed, it makes it even a bigger disappointment is to those who don't make backups or save their videos, because they don't think it posting something like that would even think it being a candidate for possible deletion (I know I wasn't).The only option YouTube is giving users to put videos back up is to replace the whole audio in the video unless you have a bunch of legal consent and/or permissions; (in my case from Sony/Columbia who own the rights) otherwise the video may be deleted. My video also contained spoken audio which the only way of replacing would be to find my backup copy (or re-rip the video from my original VHS tape) and edit the spoken audio in with another song. This removal would also apply for videos that have voice overs interlaced with songs, so you definitely couldn't restore those easily.

While YouTube has had a disclaimer for quite some time about what is allowed and not (concerts, official music videos, TV/DVD shows, sporting events, etc.), but what is not allowed almost seems what makes up half of YouTube's content and why the site has become one of the most visited sites on the internet. I guess this is what happens when one of the biggest companies buys your site, though I guess it could happen to anyone; Napster anyone?

Unfortunately what this "cracking down" process may lead to is all the footage of live performances (even all the Lima videos), television performances (MTV, Letterman, etc.) of Soul Asylum being eligible candidates for removal. I'm not exactly how the order of the removal/deletion process works; it must be random, because the live performances under my account are still up (yes I'm guilty of posting a few).

While I do understand some of the legal issues behind this (albeit insane) I think the whole situation is getting a little crazy. I had a feeling that something like this might be coming due to reading articles about it over time; I definitely didn't see it leading this way. I'm sure this comes to somewhat of a disappointment to the many users and the visitors of YouTube.

Although the removal process will probably be slow, but just to be safe; if you do have videos (or those you like viewing) that you think might be eligible for removal/deletion, you may want to grab them as soon as you can by using this site (which allows you to save the YouTube videos to your computer).

(Damn, I didn't realize I wrote THAT much text.)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: YouTube Cracking Down on Posted Videos

Post by philipgar »

Google really didn't have a choice but to remove the infringing content after being threatened by the major labels. For the case of a video using a song they own, there really isn't much question about whether they have the right to do this (technically they have the right to remove anything with no reason whatsoever). I would never recommend having youtube as your only source of a video. The quality there is degraded, and it's by no means permanent.

Live video however is a different story. It's not random how they're going about the removal, it's because the big music labels post requests for certain things to go. Columbia does not have the rights (I don't think) to have someone remove a video of Soul Asylum playing Runaway Train in concert. Only if the band (the owners of that performance and songs themselves) have that right. I doubt most bands will bother going after that stuff. The labels however will go after stuff that they own, and likely will with a vengence. What they're mad at more than anything is that google refused to have an advertising sharing scheme with them for the use of their content. So they're doing what they're allowed to to strike back at youtube. I imagine it will end up biting them in the end, as youtube is generally a great place to advertise artists, but who knows.

Phil

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

oh no! that stinks about your RT video - it was fun to watch i remember it. that link you sent seems to be working for me (seems you can save other people's videos not just your own)
thanks for posting

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

philipgar wrote:Google really didn't have a choice but to remove the infringing content after being threatened by the major labels. For the case of a video using a song they own, there really isn't much question about whether they have the right to do this (technically they have the right to remove anything with no reason whatsoever). I would never recommend having youtube as your only source of a video. The quality there is degraded, and it's by no means permanent.

Phil
I agree totally with that and was going to state something along those lines, but didn't want to sound like I was rambling any further.
zany wrote:oh no! that stinks about your RT video - it was fun to watch i remember it. that link you sent seems to be working for me (seems you can save other people's videos not just your own)
thanks for posting
Thanks; glad you liked the video. I had fun making it, especially knowing getting footage at an airport getting access on a plane (which I had no ticket for) would almost be impossible today.

Yeah, you can download any video you want from that site; I just meant "or those you like viewing" by other users videos.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

I have read this from a news article, but like you Monolith Maniac, I was surprised that they finally resort to extremes to fight infringement. They are quite weird too - imagine a video with no sound???

This is very bad news for me. I would let you know that videos from Sony BMG cannot be viewed in the Philippines (or I suspect anywhere outside US and Europe). The only way I can get access to any material is by users videos, and recordings of concerts.

If they would remove these user videos and concert recordings, I guess they would lose me, and half of YouTube population as their target audience. This is lose-lose-lose situation!
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Dunno if this is the work of Youtube or you, Mike, but your video of To Sir With Love is "no longer available."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn5jhnPw ... re=related

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

mad_soul
Inmate

Post by mad_soul »

sayeeda wrote:Dunno if this is the work of Youtube or you, Mike, but your video of To Sir With Love is "no longer available."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn5jhnPw ... re=related
That's strange... The link works perfectly to me =)
And it's a great video!!!
=o)

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Agreed...very strange! Cuz it just worked right now for me! WTF!?!? :shock:

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

Thanks for that d/l site! I haven't heard of that one, but it's probably better than the Real Player version.

samtheslug
Runaway

Post by samtheslug »

Meh, they have threatened this loads of times, nothing new. But if they do really 'crack down' on it, I am screwed. 88 videos of copyright material. :lol: