Article about Tommy Stinson's April 2012 Tour

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.

jasonC
Caged Rat

Re: Article about Tommy Stinson's April 2012 Tour

Post by jasonC »

Cool information and all but the thing that kills me is no mention of him being in Soul Asylum and a whole lot of talk about Guns N Roses. I just dont think GNR are that good or half the band that Soul Asylum is really and when SA is ignored while GNR is praised, it irks me more than just a little.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

They sure did mention Soul Aslyum:

"Stinson, who is also a current member of Soul Asylum, will showcase songs from his terrific solo album, One Man Mutiny, released on his own Done to Death label in 2011."

Given how rarely he has played with SA, I don't see why an article should emphasize his involvement with the band. I've seen SA with Pete Donnelley 3 times as often as I've seen them with Tommy..

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Yaz McBoo wrote:Given how rarely he has played with SA, I don't see why an article should emphasize his involvement with the band. I've seen SA with Pete Donnelley 3 times as often as I've seen them with Tommy..
Pete's only been with them for the past year or so. I've seen them 6 times in the last 4 years and only one of those times was with Pete. Tommy's been at the majority of shows since they brought him on, and it's only been the last year and half to two years that he's been so busy with GNR, and he's still played with Soul Asylum every chance he's gotten.

jasonC
Caged Rat

Post by jasonC »

Yeah I saw it toward the end, they say he is also a member of Soul Asylum, like just for your information not that it matters or anything. The entire article was about splitting his time with Guns and Roses, I mean in all seriousness, screw Guns and Roses they are one of the most overrated bands ever. I will take Dave Pirner over Axl Rose anyday.

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

Really!?

GnR have real tours. Do you seriously think that any press outlet is gonna give more time to SA, who can barely have shows outside the US that don't get cancelled, than GnR? I appreciate your opinion, but it doesn't reflect reality. I like SA more too. But, love him or hate him, Axl and GnR have had far more influence on music than SA.

J

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

blueharvest wrote:Really!?

GnR have real tours. Do you seriously think that any press outlet is gonna give more time to SA, who can barely have shows outside the US that don't get cancelled, than GnR? I appreciate your opinion, but it doesn't reflect reality. I like SA more too. But, love him or hate him, Axl and GnR have had far more influence on music than SA.

J
Definitely. And let's not forget that he's been in GnR since 1998 when Duff McKagan left the band. That's a long time. And of course GnR is where the real bucks are.

I personally love GnR... I understand the Axl dislike, but you can't deny that the guy has written some very great rock songs.

jasonC
Caged Rat

Post by jasonC »

MY apologies for turning this into a GNR sucks thread but I think even Kurt Cobain once said that "it is very sad that Guns And Roses are the biggest band on the planet because they are absolute shit." Something along those lines anyway and I was like "you know what Kurt you have a point." Using that logic that GNR have had a bigger impact on music doesn't really have much weight with me because you could say that about Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, and Limp Bizkit if you wanted to simply because they are more popular. Popularity doesn't mean shit in terms of quality of music it just shows how stupid the general public is who will eat up anything they are spoonfed through the media. I honestly never once thought Guns And Roses was a quality band and probably never will.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

jasonC wrote:I honestly never once thought Guns And Roses was a quality band and probably never will.
That's okay... everyone has a different taste in music. I think GnR is the kind of band you either love or hate... more or less. I think Appetite for Destruction might be one of the best rock albums ever made... seriously, that one I can always listen to... it's a classic. But I love the Use Your Illusion albums too... a little bit too much filler, but if you cut some of the songs then you get one incredible album. The great thing about GnR was that almost all the members were able to write good songs... so you have all these diverse styles and songs in the band.

I don't really care about what Kurt Cobain said... that came mainly out of an argument that he had with Axl during the 1992 MTV awards. I grew up with Nirvana and Kurt Cobain, that's a big part of my childhood, but I think the whole Kurt Cobain legacy has grown completely out of proportion, as with most artists that die young and on the peak of their success... that's just the way it is... He was a brilliant songwriter with a beautiful and intense voice, but obviously Nirvana has become overrated, no matter how good they were back in the day.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I don't think there will be much disagreement here with the point that SA deserves more media attention, and maybe there will only be minor disagreement about which band we like better, but like it nor not, GNR carries more weight with the average public and therefore with the mainstream media. That's just how it is, and how it will be.