ooh, new interview with Dave

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

ooh, new interview with Dave

Post by AlyssaJones »

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: ooh, new interview with Dave

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Very cool, learned a few interesting things about the new album too. Always fun seeing him on camera. :P

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe this is taken by the Courtney who used to go to a lot of their shows and take pictures. She'd post on the old boards as "sa_web_girl" (she does mention the Waterfalls and One Tin Soldier cover too).
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Thank you so much for posting this. This is the most interesting and insightful interview I've seen in a long time. I started out thinking some of the questions were kind of strange - but she knew what she was doing. She brought out some interesting discussion. It kind of made me sad in a way, I wish he / they knew how many people out there really appreciate what they do! It must be difficult to navigate the music industry as it is today.

I have to say that it was really interesting what he was saying about the tour choices and being on a tour that is more a "nostalgia" thing as opposed to being aligned with the rock / blues / songwriter types of bands. I completely don't see Soul Asylum as this nostalgia band and I think that being grouped with these bands at festivals and with other bands like Everclear or Gin Blossoms definitely brings out a different crowd than they would see if they played with other types of bands.

I really would love to see them playing with bands like the Old 97's, Slobberbone, Lucero, Two Cow Garage, Those Darlins'. These types of bands are so much more what I associate Soul Asylum with. And a lot of the younger bands I think see them that way too. Bands like Slobberbone and Two Cow Garage throw in covers of the Replacements and Soul Asylum and Husker Du , Uncle Tupelo etc. I totally associate them more in that group than the types of bands they have been on the bill with in the last few years.

I think that being amongst bands that seem to have more of a similar mindset of the DIY / alternative view of music would do them some good too! They have never really fit into the whole popular music scene mold.

I hope to see it happen!

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I'm pretty sure that was Courtney. It sounds like her voice and I know she was on a website called Earplugs Required.

I would LOVE to see a SA/Old 97s/Slobberbone tour! Unfortunately I haven't seen any Old 97s shows, but I did catch Rhett Miller solo a few times and really enjoyed those shows. I saw Slobberbone about 10 years ago and they were great.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

I've just seen the Old 97's one time and they are a really good band, I would not say one of my favoritest, but definitely of the ilk that I would place Soul Asylum. Slobberbone would be sooo much fun to see them on the bill with.

There are a lot of people who were in bands "back in the day" who are continuing to play music either as the band they always were, solo or in new bands who are doing it on their own and just awesome. I just saw Off! this week (members of Circle Jerks, Redd Kross etc) Just excellent and they are not young kids, but still out there and playing such great music. Lots of former punk band members still out there playing and putting out new music.

Soul Asylum should consider themselves in really good company :)

I rarely find any music that is really popular that I find worthwhile.

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

Amazing interview! In it, Dave says he regrets the second Rolling Stone cover story. I purchased this back in the day and lost my copy years and years ago. Does anyone recall what it's about and why Dave would regret it?

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

lucy wrote:...it was really interesting what he was saying about...being on a tour that is more a "nostalgia" thing as opposed to being aligned with the rock / blues / songwriter types of bands. I completely don't see Soul Asylum as this nostalgia band and I think that being grouped with these bands at festivals... brings out a different crowd than they would see if they played with other types of bands.

I think that being amongst bands that seem to have more of a similar mindset of the DIY / alternative view of music would do them some good too! They have never really fit into the whole popular music scene mold.
I think these comments are spot-on: Soul Asylum's not a 'nostalgia band', but they're sometimes the square pegs that get rammed into that round hole because of the Grave Dancers-era songs many people my age remember from our early teens. It's something that's done with many bands that aren't marketed as they ought to be, and does them a disservice.

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

Oh, and Dave (on the off chance you're reading this): If you ever want to take some college courses and need a tutor for literature classes, I'm your woman!

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

TravisSaves wrote:Amazing interview! In it, Dave says he regrets the second Rolling Stone cover story. I purchased this back in the day and lost my copy years and years ago. Does anyone recall what it's about and why Dave would regret it?
It didn't really portray him in a flattering light. It's the article that mentions staying up all night and/or drinking if I recall correctly. There were other 1995 Dim Light era articles I liked much better...Request Magazine interview, and the Of Ice and Men piece that Dave wrote for example.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:It didn't really portray him in a flattering light. It's the article that mentions staying up all night and/or drinking if I recall correctly. There were other 1995 Dim Light era articles I liked much better...Request Magazine interview, and the Of Ice and Men piece that Dave wrote for example.
You can find that "Of Ice and Men" article (as well as some others) on the site, at the bottom of the following page:

http://enterthesoulasylum.com/other/articles/

If anyone finds some worthy articles, let me know and I'll throw them up there as well.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com