Dan's status with the band

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

[color=#FF4000]Monolith Maniac says:[/color] wrote:The post below (by Educatrix) that this question referring to can be found here (I'm moving all information regarding Dan here):

viewtopic.php?p=14312#p14312

Sounds great! That's an excellent question, though ("Where's Dan?", I mean).

pablolousearama
Lone Rider

Post by pablolousearama »

Dan is no longer with the band. This occurred about a month ago - it's kind of surprising that news of this hasn't leaked prior to now but a live show with a new guitarist obviously makes it pretty tough to keep the proverbial cat in the bag. You would think that a current member of the band or management would have made an official announcement prior to an advertised live show (and tour), but that's the way it works sometimes in the music biz.

Evidently Dave is entitled to keep using the name even though one of the co-founders is no longer in the band. It remains to be seen whether details of Dan's departure will be made public.

Soul Asylum had a good run of 30+ years but, in the opinion of many, without Dan in the band it's basically little more than the "Dave Pirner Band."

jamez
Stranger

Re: 2012 September 29th - Casilla, pabellón de la, Bilbao, S

Post by jamez »

WHAT!?!?!?!?!? Someone tell me this is a joke!

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

pablolousearama wrote:Dan is no longer with the band. This occurred about a month ago - it's kind of surprising that news of this hasn't leaked prior to now but a live show with a new guitarist obviously makes it pretty tough to keep the proverbial cat in the bag. You would think that a current member of the band or management would have made an official announcement prior to an advertised live show (and tour), but that's the way it works sometimes in the music biz.

Evidently Dave is entitled to keep using the name even though one of the co-founders is no longer in the band. It remains to be seen whether details of Dan's departure will be made public.

Soul Asylum had a good run of 30+ years but, in the opinion of many, without Dan in the band it's basically little more than the "Dave Pirner Band."
And you are...?

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

I find it extremely hard to believe that Dave would ever continue on without Dan.

pablolousearama
Lone Rider

AlyssaJones wrote:
And you are...?
A detached observer with no dog in the hunt.

Do your research; don't shoot the messenger.

pablolousearama
Lone Rider

TravisSaves wrote:I find it extremely hard to believe that Dave would ever continue on without Dan.
You would think so, but the proof is in the pudding... or, in this case, YouTube.

It's also hard to believe that the "band" would soldier on without so much as a word about this development. I would imagine there will be some venues and/or promoters who will be less than amused in the coming weeks.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Well a quick Google search of your username told me that you're likely from the Twin Cities. So who are you and where did you hear this? Sounds like third-hand bar gossip if you ask me.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

WOW! I guess I will look for the official announcement.

pablolousearama
Lone Rider

AlyssaJones wrote:Well a quick Google search of your username told me that you're likely from the Twin Cities. So who are you and where did you hear this? Sounds like third-hand bar gossip if you ask me.
It's really irrelevant who I am or how I know what I know. You can disparage my veracity all you want but that won't change what's transpired. Like I said, I don't have dog in this hunt. How about this for a disclaimer: I don't have a close personal or business relationship with any current or former member of the band, their record label or their management, nor do I have a vested interest in any current or future business activities related to the band.

If the remaining members of the "band" and/or their management really cared about the fans, this discussion would be moot and you wouldn't give two hoots about some anonymous internet poster. Shoot the messenger all you want but the irony is that I have great respect and empathy for any active music fan community, including this one. You guys certainly deserve better than this.