2013 Articles and Interviews

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: 2013 Articles and Interviews

Post by AlyssaJones »

Okay, that is really not appropriate or respectful. You can say whatever you want here, but don't be vulgar. I know you only meant it figuratively, but it's still not appropriate.

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

I find the articles an interesting look into what might've factored into Dan's departure, the timeline thereof, and how Dave may feel. Granted, it's all his viewpoint (as filtered through the authors), but that's expected - Dan apparently wasn't interviewed for these pieces.

Also, seeming confirmation of certain info makes me ponder the shows I saw - some of the last Dan did. I figured from the timing of the announcement that he knew in late Aug. he'd be leaving, but was surprised to read that - according to Dave - he'd pretty much decided whilst recording Delayed Reaction. It appeared to me during/after those late summer shows that his heart was still in it, you know? And who's to say it wasn't, I suppose.

Thanks for posting the articles - great reading!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

^ I don't know anything about it, but I can't imagine that he wasn't enjoying playing with the band. I reckon he just didn't want to do that many shows in a row and be on the road anymore. I read in an article that Dan says that he was always the odd man out when it came down to doing more shows. And it shows when you look at the amount of shows they are doing right now since Dan left... even when the Silver Lining came out they didn't do this many to support that album.

catnip
Lone Rider

Post by catnip »

I stand by my post. I've heard worse things on Comedy Central. Why does Dave get a pass for every inane comment he makes? I like his music but he doesn't walk on water. I think his quote on a band member and friend who toured all over the world with him for many years and performed in front of the President of the United States is more "inappropriate" than anything I have to say. You basically have a group with one original member and three guys who owe their livelyhoods to him. Dave nowadays is like the Brits, they can't get over that at one time they used to rule the world.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Hi Grant
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Judgmental Patient wrote:Hi Grant
LOL!

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

:lol: That was a good one.

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

Dear Catnip,

I believe the main disadvantage of your opinion, which i totally respect, is that you consider SA just a band. From this angle you got a point.

In reality SA is more than a band. It is also an idea, a feeling, a way of perception of rock music (and its industry) and mostly it is a living part of our lifes. Many of us have memories and experiences inseparably connected with SA. It 's love finally.

And true love is for ever!!! (from my favorite movie ''The Crow'')

sarc
Marionette

Post by sarc »

Oi, I'm British and actually find that comment highly offensive. The only time we say anything about ruling half the world is tongue in cheek and I think you'll find most of us are ashamed of the way our country used to be (except for WWII we rocked that one hehehehehe).
Anyway, while I don't agree with everything Pirner says it's possible he does have a point and I think all you have to do is look at the number of shows they have lined up to promote this album compared to the ones they had for Silver Lining to realise that maybe in some small way it could very well have been Dan holding them back somewhat.
I do miss Dan being in the band (if it's possible to miss someone you've never met in person) but if it means SA will be more active without him then I'm open minded about what they can deliver and I don't think any of us can really pass judgement until we've heard the new stuff or seen them live.

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

catnip wrote:'You were pretty much too old for this shit when you turned 18.'"
That could have been as harmless as when you refer to one of those people in your life that you've had to push to do something for many years. Some people have been "old" their whole lives - must have been born that way.

I'm gonna guess that that 30 years of support Dan gave Dave went both ways.