Karl/"Without a Trace" connection?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Educatrix
Caged Rat

Karl/"Without a Trace" connection?

Post by Educatrix »

I tried searching for the answer to my query both here and via Google, but have come up with nada:

Y'all know that quite often, Dave dedicates (as Dan sometimes did) "Without a Trace" to Karl. I asked my husband (who created a monster when he took me to my first show) why that song in particular, and he hadn't a clue. I wish I'd thought to ask Dave after the last Bowery show, but...I didn't.

So, I turn to you good people. Anyone have an answer for me, pretty please? Grazie in advance.

missthisgone
Inmate

Re: Karl/"Without a Trace" connection?

Post by missthisgone »

Without a trace was a song that Karl loved to do live, and i have heard from someone (may just be a rumour) that it was Karl's FAVORITE song to do live.

personally , i think dave is saying that karl left the world "without a trace", meaning he came in and out , was in a successful rock band and went back out without a trace...."just to see your face, you left without a trace"

karl went suddenly and it was a shock , its like he was here and then not (sadly thats how life sometimes is).

this is just this humble mans opinion !

missthisgone

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

missthisgone wrote:personally , i think dave is saying that karl left the world "without a trace", meaning he came in and out , was in a successful rock band and went back out without a trace...."just to see your face, you left without a trace"

karl went suddenly and it was a shock , its like he was here and then not (sadly thats how life sometimes is).

missthisgone
I thought this might be part of the reasoning - the connection between the lyrics and the sudden loss of Karl - but figured I'd pick the brains of those more knowledgeable, like yourself. :)

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I've often wondered this myself and I look forward to reading the responses.

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

I thought of this performance of Without a Trace reading this:

http://youtu.be/Di1r1RuASII