Damn you Dave

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Simolex
Lone Rider

Damn you Dave

Post by Simolex »

I never thought I would be pissed off leaving a Soul Asylum show. Being 16 in 1987 I discovered the greatest live band in the world. 25 shows and a few Pirner solo shows it finally happened tonight. The band played in Michigan tonight and while the set list wasn't the greatest they still make shitty songs great live. Except for Closer To The Stars, Dave brought up a girl to sing the entire song. And this girl was brutal, really fucking bad. I can't even describe how shitty she was, awful awful awful. I hate her is all I can say. Bad move Pirner, you let a hack ruin a amazing song.

Pines
Lone Rider

Re: Damn you Dave

Post by Pines »

Wow, I was there and I couldn't disagree more. Do you realize that this girl you say is so terrible is only 16 years old herself and is one of the biggest Soul Asylum fans on the planet. She is also an excellent singer and has quite a following. I'm sorry if you didn't like it. There were many that did. And, I think it is awesome that Dave treats his fans so well.

Let others be the judge. Go to www.skylerjdavis.com to see her perform with Dave.

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

I have only seen video of Skyler and she's a 16 year old kid but I have to agree that most people likely did not come to the show to see anyone but the band or Dave Pirner himself.

I also take issue with Skyler being labeled as one of the biggest SA fans out there. She didn't get in line until presumably 10 years ago max - so let's avoid that type of exaggeration.

Simolex
Lone Rider

Post by Simolex »

16 and one of the biggest fans on the planet? Maybe if she was 16 in the 80's or even the 90's I wouldn't laugh. Are you her Mom or Dad? This isn't the 80's anymore when Soul Asylum would play in Michigan 4-5 times per year. We only get them maybe once a year if we're lucky. So maybe this girl is the bands biggest teenage fan I don't give a shit. It was like a bad Idol audition and it bummed me out seeing a great song ruined. On a side note I will say the band sounded great and Dave is still the man.

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

You mean...you went to a rock show and something spontaneous happened? :o Well we can't have that, can we?

I wasn't at this show but Dave let Skyler sing Never Really Been and Closer to the Stars at his solo show in May. He had planned to let her sing just one song but was so impressed with her that he asked her to do a second. She sang at this show because Dave wanted her to.

As for who's the bigger, better and most true fan. That argument that seems to come up on every band fan forum that has ever existed. How does one define the "biggest best fan"? Is it years they've liked the music? How much they like the music? How much "stuff" they collect related to the music? How many times they have seen the band live? That they only like the old or new stuff or that they like it all? Or...?

PAULY
Caged Rat

Post by PAULY »

Skylers a great singer granted maybe not as good as Dave singing his own song but all is well given her much credit i do. and her being a huge soul asylum fan at age 16 thats awesome cause most 16 year olds have no idea who soul asylum are ... sad too say.... but myself being a die hard fan for over 22 years now any new following of the band is a good thing indeed!!!

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

I think Dave letting a fan on stage to sing one of their songs is some of the greatest musical news I've heard in a long time. Music is the universal language that connects all people and it's incredible to know that after 30+ years, Dave hasn't forgotten that. It's apparent he doesn't take Soul Asylum's popularity for granted, he still thoroughly enjoys sharing his music with others, and appreciates those who listen to it. As a songwriter and performer myself, and with Soul Asylum being my favorite band of all-time, I absolutely love hearing that Dave does this! It's great to know he still has that desire to connect with his fans. Great job, Dave!

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

TravisSaves wrote:I think Dave letting a fan on stage to sing one of their songs is some of the greatest musical news I've heard in a long time. Music is the universal language that connects all people and it's incredible to know that after 30+ years, Dave hasn't forgotten that. It's apparent he doesn't take Soul Asylum's popularity for granted, he still thoroughly enjoys sharing his music with others, and appreciates those who listen to it. As a songwriter and performer myself, and with Soul Asylum being my favorite band of all-time, I absolutely love hearing that Dave does this! It's great to know he still has that desire to connect with his fans. Great job, Dave!
Pretty much this. When he pulled Skyler on stage at his solo show and let her sing two songs, I thought it was the coolest thing I have ever seen happen at a concert. How many people get a chance to do that?! And he so obviously enjoyed her performance, it was just amazing to see.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdc5ueh3Kfc[/youtube]

carolp
Stranger

Post by carolp »

I haven't posted here in a while, but couldn't let this one pass by.

Oh wow, is someone jealous or what?!

Did you actually walk off the gig because Dave pulled that girl up on stage to perform one of his songs?! Yeah, I guess some people who get to see their favorite bands too often (yes, even once a year can seem too often for someone who doesn't live in the US!) take everything for granted.
I've never had the opportunity to see them live (wasn't old enough when they came in early 90's and then they came to a reaaaally far away place in 2002 and I couldn't go either) and I'd give my right hand to go to one of their gigs and see Dave do such an awesome thing!

As for the girl, she did a good job. She sounds much more country than rock, so it's definitely not my thing, but she did good. Hell, I'd be happy if I could sing half as good as her.

I hope Dave keeps doing things like this and I hope new generations keep finding out the awesomeness that Soul Asylum is. Without fans, no band tours, records new albums or does anything at all. And I just love this band so damn much that I want them to have as many fans as they can!