2013 Oct. 6th - Ardmore Music Hall, Ardmore, Pennsylvania

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
ArmyKat
Inmate

2013 Oct. 6th - Ardmore Music Hall, Ardmore, Pennsylvania

Post by ArmyKat »

Another great show at the new Ardmore Music Hall (formerly the well-known Brownies 23 East) last night! The Hall has only been open a few weeks, and was a very intimate setting for last night's show. The tiny stage meant there was less room for the guys to move about, but it also meant they were very close to the audience.

Set List:
Just Like Anyone
Oxygen
Little Too Clean
Marionette
Misery/ Silly Love Songs
Gravity
Into the Light
The Streets
Black Gold
Without A Trace (Dave pointing at the drum cap with Karl/Clam Dip: "Do you all know who this is?)
New World ("a song about dating a girl who works in a Jazz bar that's too cold, with roaches in the glasses.")
I Will Still Be Laughing
(Can't Even Tell and Never Really Been were on the list here, but didn't get played)
Runaway Train
(Closer to the Stars on the list, but not played)
Shove
April Fool (the set list had 99% as the closer, and Kim was even preparing the mic for it, but Dave "called an audible" at the last minute and played April Fool instead)

As stated previously, the guys are really mixing up the setlist each night, which is awesome because I feel like I saw three very different shows over the past week. I was disappointed that some of my faves got cut last night (presumably due to time), but the quality of the show more than made up for it. I didn't notice any of the usual East Coast crew there, but did see Courtney and Virginia up front with us. The audience was definitely into the show.

In terms of the other acts, they were similar to other reports. Evan Dando's voice sounds smooth as it always has, but he was really disconnected from the audience. I know nothing about FOW besides "Stacy's Mom." We stayed for the first half of their act last night. My impression is that they were OK, but I might have appreciated them more if they weren't following SA's high-energy set.

Finally, for the ladies interested in such matters, there was the return of Dave's Aquaman shirt, and he got a haircut sometime between Saturday and Sunday night. :)

Did anyone else from the board attend?

mcshelter
Lone Rider

Re: Ardmore Music Hall, PA, 10/6/13

Post by mcshelter »

Hey. My husband & I went to the show in Ardmore, because I'm into Evan Dando's music and my husband's into Fountains of Wayne. We're familiar with some of Soul Asylum's tunes, but never saw them live. Damn we were impressed! Soul Asylum definitely stole the show last night, and gained some new fans. Signed up to this site to share my great experience.

ArmyKat
Inmate

Post by ArmyKat »

Welcome, mcshelter! So glad SA earned another fan last night! :D

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

mcshelter wrote:Soul Asylum definitely stole the show last night, and gained some new fans. Signed up to this site to share my great experience.
I love hearing stuff like that. : ) Welcome!!

mcshelter
Lone Rider

Post by mcshelter »

Thanks for the welcomes! Was listening to SA's music at work, today. A fun band to see live. Will definitely catch another show next time they're in the Philly area. About the Ardmore show.. From where I was sitting to the left of the stage, Dando had some weird feedback during his set and FoW had some sound issues especially during their first song. I didn't notice any sound problems with SA. Are they all using the same soundboard?
I know what to expect at a Dando/Lemonheads show. He always appears disconnected, stares at the ceiling when he sings, and never does encores. This was the first time I've seen him rush through his set in less than 30 minutes. SA's energetic performance totally made up for it. I stayed till the end, and FoW got better. I've seen Squeeze in concert, and FoW are similiar.
I spoke to a lady that interviewed Dave Pirner before the show. She said the interview and last night's performance will air on WHYY's tv show called On Canvas.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Welcome new fans!

LittleCrash
Stranger

Post by LittleCrash »

The show at Ardmore was perfect. It would have been even more so had the front row been taken up by Lilliputians or jockeys - or had I remembered the coffee can stilts. All ill attempts at joking aside, I don't think there was a bad "seat" in the house. I love this place! I was in the second row toward the right side of the stage, behind the token tall guy, and from there, the sound was incredible. The show rocked. I bribed a friend, who's kinda, sorta familiar with some of SA's hits, to take the long drive to Ardmore with me, and she said it was one of the best live performances she's ever seen. But back to the show: I was trembling-hands-and-heart-palpitations thrilled to hear them do "Little Too Clean" and "Marionette," so it's a good thing they cut "Closer to the Stars" because I may have needed a medic. Sure, it could've been the coffee, but I'm saying the show was That Good. I'm looking forward to seeing the Friday show in Bethlehem, Pa. Thanks for posting the set list, ArmyKat, and thanks to everyone who's been posting about the recent shows.

chevynut
Marionette

Post by chevynut »

LittleCrash wrote: I'm looking forward to seeing the Friday show in Bethlehem, Pa. Thanks for posting the set list, ArmyKat, and thanks to everyone who's been posting about the recent shows.
Yes to both item quoted above!!
I've been surprised at the changing up of the setlists at various shows AND I am going to the show at The Sands on Friday too.