Gary Louris - Vagabonds

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Gary Louris - Vagabonds

Post by philipgar »

For those not paying attention, Gary Louris from the Jayhawks and Golden Smog just released his first solo album Vagabonds. I've really been enjoying it a lot, and it tends to highlight the best parts of Gary's music. It's really an incredible album, and well worth it.

I could give a real review here, but those who like the Hawks or Smog should definitely check this out.

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I second this. I really enjoyed the cd!

NJ Misery
Inmate

Re: Gary Louris - Vagabonds

Post by NJ Misery »

I might have to check it out. I just saw a date for Louris and Olsen in NJ in Feb 2009. Are they doing on album too?

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

NJ Misery wrote:I might have to check it out. I just saw a date for Louris and Olsen in NJ in Feb 2009. Are they doing on album too?
They have an album recorded together called "After The Flood". It should be released on Hacktone records in September. I can't wait to hear this one, as I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

Phil

NJ Misery
Inmate

Post by NJ Misery »

Thanks, I didn't know they were collaborating again for an album. Why not just put the Jayhawks back though?

I also didn't know that there was an album prior to 'Blue Earth.' I found it as a re-release in a record store here in Jersey. It came out in 1986.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

NJ Misery wrote:Thanks, I didn't know they were collaborating again for an album. Why not just put the Jayhawks back though?

I also didn't know that there was an album prior to 'Blue Earth.' I found it as a re-release in a record store here in Jersey. It came out in 1986.
You picked up the bunkhouse album? This was never released on CD, and only on vinyl. There's been a lot of talk about rereleasing it, but it's never come about. If you have the vinyl copy, you're one lucky man. Those things can fetch a very nice price if you're willing to part with it.

As for why the album is mark and gary and not the jayhawks.... There are a few reasons. One being contractual, but also the album doesn't have the rest of the hawks on it, just mark and gary, and thats how it was intended. However, I think they really couldn't use the jayhawks name without being forced into a label, etc.

Phil