Tiny parts of songs that make all the difference

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Re: Tiny parts of songs that make all the difference

Post by g8trcarol »

You know, I like that line too!

Peace,
Carol

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

I forgot to write this in before, but truthfully, I thought Dave had a speech impediment when I first heard him pronouncing the letter 'f.' It kind of sounded like he was spitting while he said it.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

I finally remembered where the other place that 'f' is. In "Growing Into You" when Dave says "You never grow out of faking" he pronounces the 'f' in faking just like he does when he says defend in "Lately."

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

my favorite (at the moment) is the way he sings the word "hippie" in summer of drugs.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:How about the way Dave pronounces the 'f' in the word defend in "Lately?"
I had never ever noticed it before, but it does sound kind of funny. :)

I found a moment in a music video that I really enjoy: Right after the 1-minute mark in the Promises Broken video (first one in the list), I love how the camera pans, shifting Dave and Sterling to the left of the image. It sounds really silly, but that shot alone makes me happy that I found that version of the video.

By the way: Who is the guy with the long hair in the very beginning of the video, second from the right?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

That guy was touring with them playing keyboards - I actually don't know his name. I remember he was with them as recently as 2003 when I saw them in Orlando and I want to say that the first time I saw him with them was the 1995 Dim Light show in Chicago. I don't know if he was with them for that whole span, or on and off? I've never seen that video before either. Good find!

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Homesick wrote:I found a moment in a music video that I really enjoy: Right after the 1-minute mark in the Promises Broken video (first one in the list), I love how the camera pans, shifting Dave and Sterling to the left of the image. It sounds really silly, but that shot alone makes me happy that I found that version of the video.
Yeah, that shot is nice. I never knew there were two videos for the song - and I have been watching the "alternate version" (anyone knew why this was so?) for all these months, so this official video is a new discovery for me.

By the way, that "movie" Dan was watching at the near end of the video, is it just me or is he watching the Artificial Heart video?
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

lune ellise wrote:I never knew there were two videos for the song - and I have been watching the "alternate version" (anyone knew why this was so?) for all these months, so this official video is a new discovery for me.
Actually, I have no idea whether one is more official than the other. The one set in the desert seems to have more work put into it, though, so that's why I put it down as "Official Video."

As far as I know, this video is only available online at Yahoo Music; other sites seem to have the other version. Likewise, the video for Black Gold that's on Yahoo features a few shots of a guy blowing flames from his mouth which aren't present in other versions that I've come across. You should check out the Soul Asylum videos at Yahoo Music and maybe you'll find even more new stuff. Treasure hunt! ;)
By the way, that "movie" Dan was watching at the near end of the video, is it just me or is he watching the Artificial Heart video?
I can see the similarities, but I don't think that's Artificial Heart. If you're thinking about the scene where Karl cuts the girl up, check out the preview picture of the Artificial Heart video on the site; it looks different—more zoomed-in.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

so i thought of a tiny thing that's maybe not so tiny.

you know how some of their songs have parts where the volume changes loud/quiet etc? the music and the vocals (screaming/whispering) one of my musician-y friends back in the day told me that "good" music has volume changes in it (he meant how classical music has written on it 'piano' or 'forte' etc. in different places, but was using the argument to claim one of those bands with brass instruments like towerofpower is good)

anyways i think SA's volume changes (is there a real name for this?) in some songs makes all the difference

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:anyways i think SA's volume changes (is there a real name for this?) in some songs makes all the difference
When music gets gradually louder it's a crescendo(<) and the opposite is diminuendo(>). If you want it to go even more gradually it's called poco or un poco, but putting it in makes it a bit redundant seeing as crescendos and diminuendos are already gradual. I don't know what a quick change would be, though.