annoying new girl

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Re: annoying new girl

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:Once I was in graduate school and living on campus with an ethernet connection, I often looked for and downloaded SA pictures (and other pictures of bands or tv shows I liked). That's always fun.
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one putting pictures of them on my phone, but now I'm curious about other obsessive habits(remember, the teenager is a very curious species :D) and I was kind of wondering if we should make a thread with all of the weird things we do involving the band(besides gawking at Dave's jeans, of course). I have tons of obsessions, but relatively few involve the band, but then again, I probably forgot some.
Last edited by stuck_in_the_90s on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

hi all, i'm ANOTHER annoying new girl named nicole....

-i hate texting because i think i'm "too old for it" (i'm 27) so i'm fine w/ younger people texting all they want. when i was in HS/college i was AIMing allll the time.. now it's replaced with texting, i get it. i use email as my main communication now since i sit at a desk all day anyways.

-i totally relate to having trouble finding friends to go to concerts with you (try finding somebody my age to go see arlo guthrie) so i thought this past month when soul asylum was playing near me that it would be a breeze to find somebody to go with me. but it wasn't! (ok it was on a monday night which made my husband not want to go) but i'm not sure what's wrong w/ my newer friends that i live near, they are my age but weren't into SA in middleschool??? how could that be? my hometown friends who don't live near me would have totally come to see SA with me just for nostalgia even though they're not listening to them anymore. (actually i mentioned to one that SA was going to be in raleigh near her soon, and she said she saw them last year! i love my old friends!)

i finally asked my sisterinlaw to go - she's always up for going out to anything. she did ask 'who are they again?' ugh. 'runaway train?" 'oh yeah, OK i'll go" luckily she also knew 'gone till november' at the show so 2 songs instead of just one!

anyways i've given up having friends that like the same music as me. mostly: 60's folk music (joan baez/arlo), current lesbian folk music (dar williams/catie curtis), and well SA doesn't fit into a category for me because i don't really love any other bands i can fit in with them. well i do have similar nostalgia/love for first blind melon album that i got into at the same time as gdu... i rediscovered how much i love it when i was stuck in traffic for a couple hours on an icy night and played through all the tapes i had in my car.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote: -i totally relate to having trouble finding friends to go to concerts with you (try finding somebody my age to go see arlo guthrie) so i thought this past month when soul asylum was playing near me that it would be a breeze to find somebody to go with me. but it wasn't! (ok it was on a monday night which made my husband not want to go) but i'm not sure what's wrong w/ my newer friends that i live near, they are my age but weren't into SA in middleschool??? how could that be? my hometown friends who don't live near me would have totally come to see SA with me just for nostalgia even though they're not listening to them anymore. (actually i mentioned to one that SA was going to be in raleigh near her soon, and she said she saw them last year! i love my old friends!)

i finally asked my sisterinlaw to go - she's always up for going out to anything. she did ask 'who are they again?' ugh. 'runaway train?" 'oh yeah, OK i'll go" luckily she also knew 'gone till november' at the show so 2 songs instead of just one!
I have no idea who Arlo Guthrie is, but I'm guessing he/she/they're a musician/band from before your time seeing as no one your age will go with you to see them.
My sister was five in 1992 and she doesn't remember Runaway Train, and neither can my mom. My sister's boyfriend on the other hand, remembers seeing 'that guy with the grunge-type hair.' He was going to be five that year, too. My brother would have been seven, almost eight, but I haven't asked him about him knowing the song. He also listens to music before his time, like Pink Floyd(that's from the 70s, right?)
zany wrote:anyways i've given up having friends that like the same music as me. mostly: 60's folk music (joan baez/arlo), current lesbian folk music (dar williams/catie curtis), and well SA doesn't fit into a category for me because i don't really love any other bands i can fit in with them. well i do have similar nostalgia/love for first blind melon album that i got into at the same time as gdu... i rediscovered how much i love it when i was stuck in traffic for a couple hours on an icy night and played through all the tapes i had in my car.
I doubt that I can get some of my friends to listen to Soul Asylum. I've made a pact with one of them saying that I will never listen to her music and she will never listen to mine. She listens to stuff like the Jonas Brothers, Josh Groban, and some band called Oxford Comma.
I've actually heard of Blind Melon. They came out with No Rain, with that bee girl dancing about, right?

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

yup the bee girl! to me the rest of that album is nothing like no rain but i really love the other stuff even better. but i remember other people being disappointed in the album because the rest of the songs weren't like no rain. i never really got into their 2nd album but recenlty found out my husband had it so started listening a bit.

nice pact with your friends :) my friends don't talk about music much. some go to some concerts that i opt not to go to, but they're always bands like dave matthews (yuck) or somebody pretty big with general wide audience (like burce springsteen) who i think are ok and all but i'm not really into huge concerts where you basically watch the band on a big screen cuz you're so far away.

yeah arlo played woodstock so... before my time, but he's still playing and is still great to see live he tells stories about the songs and his voice still sounds great. seen him twice in the last couple years.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote: yeah arlo played woodstock so... before my time, but he's still playing and is still great to see live he tells stories about the songs and his voice still sounds great. seen him twice in the last couple years.
Yeah, I've never been to a single concert in my life, unless you count going to school concerts, all of which either I or my siblings have been in. Not recently of course, because they both graduated, but I'm still in them playing the violin. I missed a chance to go see Fastball, but I had something else to do the next day, plus I would have needed either one of my parents or my sister to go with me which they didn't want to do. I wish I could go to a Soul Asylum concert, but they never seem to come close enough to where I live. Maybe when I'm older.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

don't worry i never went to a concert until around 16 when i made my mom take me to see crosby stills and nash (also of the woodstock era). and i still haven't been to all that many. at college i was able to go to more though - having a car is very helpful...
where are you? i'm in connecticut.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:don't worry i never went to a concert until around 16 when i made my mom take me to see crosby stills and nash (also of the woodstock era). and i still haven't been to all that many. at college i was able to go to more though - having a car is very helpful...
where are you? i'm in connecticut.
Well, I live in southern New York, a few hours away from New York City. I don't really want to go into that much detail, though. I was actually born in New London, Connecticut and I lived in Groton until 1997.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

yeah it stinks being in those areas where nothing good ever comes to - i'm always surprised to see stuff come to CT and norhhampton mass where i also have seen a few shows.
i grew up in a town near danbury and live in central CT now.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:yeah it stinks being in those areas where nothing good ever comes to - i'm always surprised to see stuff come to CT and norhhampton mass where i also have seen a few shows.
i grew up in a town near danbury and live in central CT now.
Actually, there is stuff to go and see, but if I were to say that, it would pretty much show where I live. That's not really stuff I want to see though. I might be moving to Maryland next year, and if so my cousins will actually start visiting us because of all there is to do. My cousin, twelve, is really into social studies like my dad and enjoys going to graveyards to find famous politicians. Last year my dad dragged my mom and me down to Georgia and on the way there he just had to find Spiro Agnew, who of course we could not find. It was way too hot and there was no shade, but my dad did find Johnny Unitas.
Personally, the only aspect of social studies that I find interesting is law and the three branches of government, but of course my dad is more interested in naming all of the presidents in order and researching our family history.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Wow. I actually didn't read even half of this huge thread, but I just couldn't resist personally welcoming someone who describes herself as the "annoying new girl." ;) I'm the webmaster, and you can bet I would have posted here earlier if I hadn't been without an internet connection for over a week. I'm amazed at how the band as well as the site keep attracting new members—especially people as young as you. As for any alleged annyoingness, I don't think you need to worry about that here. Welcome to the community!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com