2010 Dec. 17th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Re: Dec 17 2010 Set List

Post by Sometime to Return »

Tracy and crawl; thanks for letting me indulge. I don’t tweet, my space, facebook etc.. this is my only “social network” outlet and since it was SA related, I wanted to share Carter’s and my interaction. Kids say and do things that seem so “grown up”; you wonder how, where, why they come up with. But; it’s truly cool to look at the world through the “eyes of a child.”

The last time I saw them play “I did my best” was the 2008 Christmas/ Holiday show; I think, I know they played it. I always loved this song; I was glad to hear it again. Everyone that listens to this song can relate to/ personalize it and that’s what makes it so good.

Phil, Andrew, Mike and John (from Philly)… I hope you all had safe travels to your destinations.

Tracy; it was good to catch up again.

Jamie.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

rockinbrian
Inmate

Post by rockinbrian »

Also since it I don't believe it has been previously mentioned, I would like to give props to Tommy Barbarella on the Keys. Felt he really added to some of the songs.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Oooh, one more thing I thought was pretty cool...during Pink Mink's set I saw Sean Tillman aka Har Mar Superstar standing right behind me! Don't know if he stayed for the whole show or not, but I know he was in town for First Ave's 40th Ann. Show on Wednesday night. (Mike W - What did I tell you?! It's such a tight music community! Local musicians are always coming to see other play!) Which leads me into what I read in the paper yesterday...

"First Avenue 40th anniversary. From Mayor R.T. Rybak's key to the city (shaped like Prince's glyph) to Gary Louris' solo electric guitar set to Dave Pirner's introduction of Heiruspecs to 1,000 pieces of yummy cake, it was a blast"

HELLO! Did anyone go to this? Did Dave play at all or just introduce Heiruspecs? Anyone? Anyone?

Tracy
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

Where do I start

If you've never traveled to Minneapolis in December before all I can tell you is that it's a big trick if you can pull it off. You never know what mother nature will toss out at you with the cold wind or the snow. Well she decided to be kind to many of us for the most part so we could enjoy another great Christmas show in one of the top clubs in the country.

Just going to First Avenue is a treat to see a band but when it's a hometown favorite it just adds the fun. Just a great time and hey it's also kinda funny it was a movie set as well.
For those who don't know... go watch "Purple Rain"

Some of us met at Gluek's for a bit then we moved over to The Depot which is First Avenue's New Bar and Restaurant. It has some really cool pictures of bands that have played at First Avenue in the past. Some really great history on the walls including two Soul Asylum pictures I've never seen before.

One is a great shot of the band on an old beat up car and this one I tried to shot.

I'm gonna guess these photos where both taken in the mid to late 80's

Also if you ever go there check out the Husker Du band photo.
Greg Norton's choice of shorts is priceless.

Onto the show
Last edited by LittleTooClean on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

Pink Mink and The Figgs where just great. They both kicked ass in there own way and that 's the way it should be because it all made a perfect match together. I think that would be a great line up for a tour together.

From the start Soul Asylum had something special planed for the hometown crowd.
After the first two songs all I was saying to myself was ..wow..wow..WOW !
The rest of the show was the same way !

Here's the best picture we (Jim or I) could get of the Clap Dip Drum Head.

And speaking of Jim :) It was great to hear Dave give him credit for all his great work on this site.

Here's an MP3 of "Misery" and Dave talking to and about Jim after it.
http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/90nyyj

Another great time in Minneapolis !

Thank You !! John, Jamie, Sara, Andrew, Phil, Jim, Tracy, Scot, Meg (I still have my sticker:)
Tim, Judith, Kim, Todd, and everyone else sorry if I forgot your name.
Hope everyone enjoys the DVD.

Sorry I did'nt get a chance to say goodbye to everyone and I could not remember the hotel room number you guys told me to meet you in .

Most of all THANK YOU !! Dave, Dan, Michael and Pete for a night I will not forget for a long time.

One more thing for those who could not attend... Or if you just like presents
Happy Holidays for me to you with some help from Perks
Here's the audio from the show (bottom of the page)
http://s2.webstarts.com/LittleTooClean/downloads.html
You might also find a few other gems that I have also added lately.

And watch SATV this Tuesday Night December 21 at 8 PM Central Time for all the latest videos from this show and a few holiday surprises.

Mike W
Last edited by LittleTooClean on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

All that snow was good for something.

All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Alright, where to start? First thing I'll say is wow... the the show knocked me off my feet and not just because of the rowdy crowd. Artificial Heart and Marionette were just spectacular, especially seeing the song accompanied by a timpani; that just blew me away. I was definitely glad to hear the 3 new songs. It was cool that they played The Streets, especially since that was only performed only once before (at the Mankato show). I also really enjoyed hearing Black Star and When I Ran off and Left Her for the first time live.

I really liked that Dave acknowleged thanked me about the site, I thought that was super awesome. I thanked him for that after the show and also reminded him I'm not the only one working on it. :)

As for the opening acts, Pink Mink was a little better than I thought they'd be, but The Figgs definitely put on a damn good performance. Pete Donnelly did an awesome job filling in for Tommy and doing a double set.

As always, great to many familiar faces there. :)

Also, here's 2 reviews I came across of the show:

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2 ... lum_at.php

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... aPc:_27EQU

Update:

Very cute picture Judith... couldn't have put (written) it anywhere better (also I take it that's an artificial heart :P ), and thanks a bunch Mike for the mp3's of the show, very much appreciated! :D
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Yes, shout out to Tommy on Keys! Thanks Mike for the show. I SO love to listen to the shows I was at and this one is def. top notch. and great pics, Judith too! Yes, I know the crowd did get pretty rough, I have certainly had my share of that before and sorry that Andrew took the brunt of it this time.

All in all though great show, great night, great folks. I am still laughing....

Happy Holidays all!

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Thanks for having the show up to download, Mike. It's great to be able to listen to it not just today, but also in 30 years when I'll be able to look (listen) back on this awesome night.

I don't know what my very favorite moment of the show was, but one of the highlights was definitely during Stand Up and Be Strong when Dave did his little thank-you speech:

"You're much too kind, you're much too lovely. I wish y'all peace, I wish y'all Happy Kwanzaa and Happy Hannukah. Happy Christmas and New Years too. I hope all your wishes come true and you get everything that you ever wanted. And I'd also like to tell you that we know y'all could have been anywhere in the world tonight, but you're here with us and we do appreciate that. I'd also like to tell you that you've been a dynamite audience and you deserve to give yourselves a round of applause, let's go! Drive safely and have a good rest of the year."

It's things like this that make Dave's sincerity and classiness really shine.

Thanks again to everyone. I'll never forget last Friday night. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good life!

P.S. I was reading Tommy's twitter and facebook earlier and apparently he's been stuck at Heathrow airport for days now, so keep him in your thoughts.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

PROMISESBROKEN wrote: "First Avenue 40th anniversary. From Mayor R.T. Rybak's key to the city (shaped like Prince's glyph) to Gary Louris' solo electric guitar set to Dave Pirner's introduction of Heiruspecs to 1,000 pieces of yummy cake, it was a blast"

HELLO! Did anyone go to this? Did Dave play at all or just introduce Heiruspecs? Anyone? Anyone?
Tracy
I didn't, but reports say that Dave did nothing that night (on stage) but introduce the Heiruspecs
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over