2012 Oct 25th - Hard Rock Hotel, Orlando, FL

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

2012 Oct 25th - Hard Rock Hotel, Orlando, FL

Post by EasyStreet »

as mentioned here (as part of their Velvet Sessions)

http://www.universalorlando.com/Events/ ... vents.aspx
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Re: 2012 Oct 25th - Hard Rock Hotel, Orlando, FL

Post by crawl »

Anyone know anything more about this?

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

I'm guessing that when that Bret Michaels show comes and goes, the link will then update for the Oct Velvet Session show

http://www.velvetsessions.com/

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Remember, no shows get posted on the front page (or the shows page) until... "it's officially confirmed. :roll:

Now it is. :P
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

wow, a photo that isn't 6+ years old!

http://www.velvetsessions.com/

Is anyone going to this?

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

There is a 12 second clip from the show on YouTube and from that clip alone, sounds like people were incredibly pumped to see Soul Asylum! It also appears that the guitarist is the same guy from the Spain show.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r72O9ntK3So[/youtube]

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Here is the set list for this show minus a few that didn't make it in:
P-9 (would have loved to have heard that)
Can't Even Tell and
Shakin Streets

Sigh. I am just going to say that I went into this optimistically and I don't really want to say anything negative, because my experience has more to do with me than with Dave and the other guys. Dave put on a good show as always and had good energy. The new guy is named Justin and the last name sounds like Sherbon (sp?). He seems like a nice enough person. He's a younger guy and seemed to know the songs etc. They even pulled out a little Monster Mash for the Halloween party that this show was.

I had a hard time with this show for my own reasons. Reasonably I go back and forth. For example, if Dave had a solo show, which of course I would enthusiastically attend, and he played a song like Little Too Clean, which I can't even remember the last time I saw him play, I would be thrilled. And I tried to look at it that way and just enjoy seeing him and enjoy hearing the songs and being with the other fans I was with at the show with. But in my mind I just kept thinking, "If only they'd played this song when they were still Soul Asylum". And "I wish he'd played P-9" (not thinking "they'd" played P-9. ) See what I mean?

To Dave, to quote yourself, "All the people who care about you are watching to see what you're gonna do" and no I have no plans to leave Dave as a fan and supporter, but did have a very hard time with this. After this show, I am leaning more with the side of the argument that it would be better to see a Dave solo show with lots of Soul Asylum songs in there than to try to see this as Soul Asylum. Because to me it really isn't anymore. Is it all just in the name? And should that matter that much? Maybe it does.

I had tickets for the Atlanta show too, but my older dog who was traveling with us was not feeling well, so we got about a third of the way there yesterday and ended up deciding to come home. (Yes, now feeling better lest anyone who know him be concerned for my little guy :) I think the traveling was just too much for him that day).

Would love to hear anyone else's comments and feelings on this. It might be an evolving thing and maybe it's because it was the first show without Dan.
Last edited by lucy on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Oops, photo of the set list didn't attach to the prior post. Here it is along with a photo of the "new guy" and what I found to be the saddest part of the show - Black Gold with Dave by himself.
Attachments
IMG_20121025_203319.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0076.jpg

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Thanks for the review. I understand what you're saying.

kevinmpls
Stranger

Post by kevinmpls »

Lucy,

I think you just need to look at these shows as Dave solo shows where he plays a lot of Soul Asylum songs. The name Soul Asylum is on the ticket so they can get more people to attend, but they really are just Dave solo shows from now on which is fine and enjoyable, but it's not Soul Asylum without Dan.

We are entering a period now where there will only be Dave solo shows which will be different and enjoyable in their own way, and perhaps if Dan ever comes back, we can then have Soul Asylum shows again. In the meantime, we will enjoy the Dave solo shows with lots of Soul Asylum songs.

Kevin